Daily dogs run, jump and play, activities which over the years are generated wear on the dog’s legs, specifically on the pads. Our dog’s paws must care because their health depends on them. According to doctors from Newark Foot Doctor, the most vital parts that must care for your dog’s paws are nails and pads .
- At the root of the nail of the dog are nerve endings and blood vessels grow as fingernails grow.
- They grow and eventually wear or filed naturally while walking, play, run, etc. on hard and rough surfaces like the floor, sidewalk, pavement. Therefore it is important to exercise your dog.
- You must not let the dog’s nails grow too because they can cause you discomfort and pain when walking, and may even hurt someone unintentionally (when playing).
When to cut dog nails?
If you notice or hear a particular sound when your dog walks, it’s time to cut them.
Cushions or pads and dog
- They help to maintain balance.
- Function as shock absorbers in the jumps.
- They provide flexibility evenly distributing the weight on each pad of the finger movement.
- Protect bones and joints of the legs, preventing cracks and other damage.
- Isolate heat and cold, helping to regulate body temperature.
- They are thick and rough, allowing them to withstand difficult ground conditions.
- The pads are composed of numerous nerve endings.
Common problems in the dog’s paws
- Bite, lick or chew the legs can often indicate an allergy.
- Color change in their pads, usually easily reddening, blistering or burns due to high temperatures on the surface of the tread surface to the dog.
- For cuts in the leg, be careful the kind of surface they walk the dogs. They should wash the affected areas well and apply some antiseptic cream and put some gauze around the leg and cover it so that you are not quite too soon.
- Cracks, cuts or infections, it is advisable to apply some cream or oil on the pads to ride again.
- Limp or refuse to walk. Because the dog steps on any surface as dry soil, small stones or thorns, these are housed between the pads and double check and clean the area.
- Foreign objects lodged in the leg. Carefully remove any foreign objects and check such returns to walk the animal.
Remember to consult your veterinarian, who better than him to help determine the problem and take proper remedy for your pet.
Tips to care and protect the dog’s paws
- Cut dog nails when they touch the ground.
- Trim the hair protruding from the pads.
- Periodically clean your dog’s paws with a cloth soaked in hot water, removing all residues and finally dry thoroughly, removing any excess moisture.
- Inspect the surface on which stepped on the dog and make sure it is free of sharp objects, thorns, gum or anything that is dangerous to walk around the city is safe for our friend. In any case, after walking, should review their pads for possible sores or wounds that heal there.
- Combine asphalt areas with green areas in the city walk the dog protects the pads.
- Not all soils or surfaces are equal to the dog’s paws, begins with short walks to suit your dog.
- Use appropriate creams and balms to hydrate pads.
- Provide accurate baths as part of their routine daily hygiene habit is another essential not only to care for their health but also the health of your pads.
- Give a massage with some frequency in the legs.
In any case, not all surfaces are equal and soils (sand, rocks, snow, floor, grass, dirt, etc.), some materials are more aggressive than others for pillows dog. It is advisable to start the animal walks by soft and gentle, grassy and damp areas. Examine your dog’s feet regularly and performs this routine as a preventive checkup will help you prevent and identify minor issues before they become problems severe, your dog will thank you. I invite you to make us your feedback and we platiques if your dog has suffered any of these problems and what was the solution, participate!